August 6, 2010

My New Expertise

Fabrics. Who knew I would get to know this industry so intimately? When we moved in, the previous owners left some furniture including a dining room set. A lot of the stuff is fuddy-duddy and looks very old lady-like, but the dining room set is black-brown wood and actually could be lovely. However, the seats are upholstered in a granny material.

Being SO crafty (not!), I decided that we would pop the seats out and change the fabric. I've been looking for new material since we signed the contract but it's hard work in Ireland! There's a couple of fabric stores, but all their fabric is located in books and so you can't just walk around and find something you like. You have to dig through piles and piles of old lady material.

I'm loving geometric prints but it's not readily available in Ireland. In the past couple of weeks, I've become the Nancy Drew of fabrics- trawling through blogs and design sites, looking for fabric names and trying to find them in Ireland. I now know different fabric designers, their history, if they have shops in Ireland or the UK etc :) I finally found a US site that delivers to Ireland (Fabrics.com).

Here she is: It's the Waverly Cross Section in Charcoal in case you ever go on a search for similar fabric.



I bet you were expecting some amazing, ornate fabric with all that searching! :)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...