May 9, 2013

Glorious!

Sadly, Ireland DOES live up to its stereotype. It's almost always raining, but when it isn't the island is GLORIOUS!

Yesterday, it was on and off, but when I got home from work, it had stopped. Hubby and I headed down to the sea for a late evening walk.


Along the Pier 


Where's my pot of gold? 

When we got home, I had the urge to try out my sister's version of my mom's recipe for making a Vietnamese crab and tomato soup- commonly referred to as Bun Rieu. In general, I can't follow a recipe to save my life, because I'm one of those people that don't measure (even when the recipe says you MUST). So this recipe which is below was perfect for me. This is one of the first meals I've made that tasted like my mom's on the FIRST try. Sooo impressed with myself. 

Steaming Vietnamese Soup! 


Her recipe if you want to try it:

In a pot with water, bring the dried shrimp to a boil and let it cook for a bit. In the meantime, sautéed chopped onions and chopped tomato in a pot. When it cooks down, add about two to three cans of chicken broth. 

Once the dried shrimp is cooked, remove from the water and chop them into tiny pieces(dice them) . Heat a pan with oil and garlic, add the shrimp and a am or two of crab meat. Stir it around for a bit, add sugar, salt, pepper. Stir. Add an egg or two..stir. 

Take the water from the shrimp and add it to the tomato, broth, onion mixture. Then add te shrimp, crab, egg mixture to the tomato mixture. Season with nuoc mam! Voila! You are done...let it cook for a bit and then eat! 

If you want one with measurements, perhaps check this one out though I've personally never tried that recipe. 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...